Romania, 4 April 2011

Hello Everybody,

Sounds like things are going well.  I got an invitation to Tim's wedding yesterday from the elders, who waited a few days to give it to me.
I hope that I will at least be able to go to Jesh's wedding, since I've missed both Jill's and Tim's :)

This week I got sick, and I have stayed sick for a while because I didn't take time to rest to get better when I first got sick.  What began as a cold moved down to my throat and lungs.  It's not that bad though.  I didn't realize how much my brain doesn't work when I'm sick until I was teaching English class on Saturday.  Usually I can think quickly and figure things out, but my Romanian was horrible and I couldn't translate things very well.  It was really obvious that I was sick.  Unfortunately I still have to fulfill all of the missionary responsibilities that I had before I got sick (which I think may have been what made me get sick in the first place).

Last week two little boys came into the church and were messing around on the synthesizer and trying to get into stuff.  I told them to leave and Sora Puckett put on a movie for them to watch.  I told them to leave again because President Pitulan said that they would steal things and then they started trying to run away from me so that I wouldn't throw them out.  Well, we were in the church and they were messing around so I figured that the faster I chased them down and threw them out the better it was, so instead of making meager efforts to chase them toward the door I jumped across the room, rebounded off one of the walls, and grabbed one of the kids by the arm.  His friend bolted for the door and I dragged him over and threw him out.  Nice and quick.  I didn't make them mad or anything though, they thought it was funny.  This week we saw them on the street again and the kid that I had thrown out said "Ei, Matrix!" because I guess he thought it was cool the way that I jumped over chairs and rebounded off the wall to catch him.  I think he called my companion Chubby, but I didn't tell her that.  They were wearing roller blades and they asked me to pull them along the street, so I did.

This week our hot water stopped working so we called the proprietar (this is an English word).  Sora Puckett made the call and the first thing she said was "Avem o problema cu nashtere," which means, "We have a problem with birth."  She said it really clearly too.  She wanted to say the word for button, "nasture," but nobody uses that word anyway, they just say 'buton.'  Anyway, when we explained to him about the water he came over to fix it.  He asked me what my companion meant and I just laughed really hard, he said that he was kind of freaked out when she said that.  He didn't want to have to deal with that type of thing.  Anyway, we all just laughed a lot.  Sora Puckett has said the most crazy things of all my companions.  This one might not be funny to you guys, but, during one of our English classes she was explaining about how conjugation works in English and she used an example of a Romanian word, to sleep, a dormi.  The way the word conjugates is just by dropping the i.  But she said I "dormesc" which made everyone laugh, and then she said (conjugating it wrong in a different way) you "dormez."  The whole class was laughing super hard.  I tried not to, because I felt bad for her, and I corrected her, but it was super funny.

The rest of the week was me being sick and irritable and exhausted.  Plus, we had a lesson with a JW after church on Sunday (I'm not the one who set it up, my companion is, I wouldn't have; I was sick so she did whatever she wanted).  We taught her about the spirit world and then she started telling us all her JW opinions.  She started talking about how we should all be in the Garden of Eden and be immortal, but because of Satan we aren't.  I asked her, "So did Satan trick God?" and she said "Yes," and I said "Your god sucks."  Or at least that's what I wanted to say.  I'm glad we have the truth.

I got to see a little bit of Conference Sunday night.  We went over to a member's house and watched it on her laptop.  Half of those talks were about taking care of poor people.  I wonder how that will effect the members here.  There are tons of poor people and we don't have the resources.  Plus, people will just try to take advantage of the system to get food from the church so they can spend their money on drugs and alcohol.  Some of the members already do.  I had a member ask me just yesterday for some money, and I told her to talk to the branch president about it.  I wish there was a good way to help people here.
We saw the first couple minutes of the special report on Japan too and translated it for the member.  Those were the first pictures I have seen of Japan so far.  It's just like you guys described.

I got permission to register for classes today, so I have been looking at all my stuff.  It's nice to see so many "complete" signs next to all of my requirements.  I bet Jerm's has a ton of "incomplete" signs all over.  It's kind of scary to look at some of the classes I will be in, because I have forgotten all my stuff.  I printed off one of my old stats assignments and gave it to my Zone Leader because he wanted to see it, and I couldn't even remember what most of the stuff on there means.  I'm sure it will come back though.

Talk to you later.

Love,
Sora Jay



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


0 comments:

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum