Romania 13 June 2011

Hey everybody,

You guys are kind of freaking me out by talking about me coming home all the time.  Everybody in Brasov (bra-showv)keeps asking if I'm a new missionary because they've never seen me before.  One of the members told me that I have a iasi accent.  Now I'll be able to get back the pure accent.  Brasov is up in the mountains in the middle of the country.  It is way cooler here that it was in iasi.  It's nice.  I'm glad I didn't leave my winter stuff behind because it has been really cold and rainy here the past few days.  The members said it will get hot eventually.  You can see mountains all around like Utah, but they aren't as big as the Utah mountains are, I'm pretty sure.

My new companion is really chill.  Her name is Sora Bedebone and she is Samoan.  Her family is from Nevada.  She is in her fourth transfer, and she doesn't talk a whole lot during the lessons we teach.  She said she has been talking more with me than she ever did with Sora Wilson though.  It's funny because when Sora Wilson was my companion she never talked.  So, she got her comeuppance.  It's nice being with a companion that has already been taught by one of my former companions about how things go.  Sora Wilson seems to have done things pretty similarly to me so I can just step right into her place really easily.

We found out that there are some members that live in a little city right next to Brasov, Sacele, that haven't been visited for a while and we found a teaching record for one members wife.  The missionaries haven't tried to go out there forever because they hesitated to ask permission from President to leave the city.  I called him and asked him and he pretty much said he always lets missionaries go there.  So we went and had a lesson with a cool family that has three little kids, one baptized and another just about to turn eight, and the other is five.  The one who is baptized (recently) is at his grandma's house where she is trying to indoctrinate him against our church.  Their parents said something about going through the police to get him back.  Maybe she kidnapped him? or at least took him without his parents permission.  Poor little kid.  His siblings really miss him.  They said they're not a whole family when he's not there.

There are some progressing investigators here.  I think it's the first time I've ever come into a city and there were progressing investigators, even a person with a baptismal date.  In Brasov there is also a chapel.  I think it is one of the biggest ones in Romania.  The branch is pretty small though.  There are tons of inactive people and people that have left the country.  We met with the Relief Society president on Sunday to ask her who we should try working with.  She gave us a list of people but they are mostly guys.  She has kept pretty good track of the women in the ward.  There are young women here too.  This ward has one missionary out and one of the girls is going on her mission at the end of August, and she is going to the Provo MTC and then Spain.

There is a member here that I taught a couple of times back when I was in Bucharest.  Her brother was supposed to meet with us back when I was there, and the first day that we were out contacting in front of the church he was there waiting for his brother-in-law, so we talked to him and he came to church yesterday.  When we went to teach the member he was at her house too so he sat in on a lesson about the priesthood.  Probably not the best first lesson.

Our apartment here is really humid, my hair curls differently because of it.  It's hard to sleep when you feel all wet all night long.  I guess maybe that's what Tom's and Ed's whole missions have been like.

Love,
Sora Jay



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


0 comments:

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum