Romania: Happy Mothers Day

Hey everyone,

It was nice to talk to some of you guys.  There weren't very many of you but I'll see you all in a few months anyway so it's okay.  I still got three phone calls.  One from Dad, Jerm, and Emily, and then one from Mom, Joni, and Aaron, and then one from Tim and Elisa.  When I talked to Emmett and Luke it was really hard to understand what they were saying, it's been a long time since I spoke with little kids in English.  Only teenage kids and up speak English here.
Dad said on the phone that when he was in Brazil he would have about two baptisms per transfer, and that he was just planting seeds.  I told Sora Mullen that if that's planting seeds then we are still cutting down the trees and pulling the big rocks and stumps out of the ground.

This week has been a pretty good one.  We have a few pretty solid people, each of them has a little catch though like needing to get married, thinking about moving to a different country, etc.  But we might have a baptism coming up soon.  I told Sora Mullen that we just have to baptize a lot of people at the same time so that they can all support each other, since there aren't a lot of members here to fellowship them.
The BYU girls with the orphanage program should be here soon if they are still coming.  The branch president keeps asking us when they are going to get here and we have no idea.  On Sunday he had pretty much given up and was almost crying at the idea of not having them come because they are such a huge support for the branch.  We tried to ask the APs but then have no idea when they will get here.  The branch has been struggling recently.  A couple of the members haven't come in a while and we have tried to set up with them but they bunged us.  Last week we watched conference instead of having Sunday School and Relief Society, but I noticed that there were only two Relief Society members there, instead of the five that are usually always there.

Remember back when I was trying to get in contact with one of the universities?  We taught a lesson to Professor Bejan at the big university (we found him knocking vilas), and we've set up to go to a religion class next Monday (through one of our former investigators, a theology student, that we tried going back to), and we met a lady on the street who is a professor at another university and she likes us a lot so hopefully we'll be able to meet with her too.  It's cool how it worked out in the end.

At the beginning of this week one of our investigators was in the hospital so we went and visited her.  The hospital was pretty sad.  There were like ten beds in a room with a doctor that she told us sat at a desk for a few hours and a nurse that sat there for the rest of the day.  The walls were peeling and the sheets were ripped and stained.  We went with her friend who is one of the members, Florentina, and she was mean to Sora Mullen and told her not to speak anymore because she didn't speak well.  Sora Mullen just talked to her in English and she couldn't understand.  As we were walking home a beggar guy asked Sora Mullen for money and she said she didn't have any to give to him and after she walked past he punched her in the back.  I didn't see because I was walking ahead of her and I didn't find out until we had walked away from him.  I told her she should have told me right then so that we could have done something about it.  Probably just threaten him or something.  I've never had anybody do anything like that to me for not giving them money.  I usually just give them and intimidating glare instead of saying anything to them though.

Last Monday we played airsoft at a place in the mall.  I'm not afraid of getting hit by the bullets so I was just calm all the time, and the other missionaries thought it was scary.  When we were putting up an English poster on a pole there was an old one there so I pulled out my pocket knife and sliced through it and ripped it off really fast, and Sora Mullen said that was scary too.  When she was talking to the elders on the phone after a lesson one time she told them that during the lesson I had pulled a gun out of my bag and shot the investigator in the knee-caps.

We had English signups this week, and there were lots of young smart people there.  Sora Mullen and I put up posters in the universities, and the elders put up theirs in the student housing.  One guy who signed up definitely looked like he is in the Mafia or something.

I took a picture of the ocarina that Elder Tefft gave me at transfers so that you guys can see it.
I registered for a bunch of classes at BYU in the fall but I'm probably only going to take the minimum for full-time status so that I can hang out with you guys, but I'll think more about that after a couple more transfers.

Love,
Sora Jay



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


0 comments:

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum