5 Iulie 2010, in Romania

Hello.

In this mission we have a goal of teaching 20 lessons every week.  This transfer Sora Walker and I have taught at least 20 lessons every week and we are the first companionship in the mission to do it from everything I've heard.  Our Zone has been getting a fourth of the lessons and baptisms in the entire mission (ca sa stiti ca lucram din greu).

Well, for the fourth of July we went to a wedding, of one of our investigators.  She is married to a member now, and the only thing that was keeping her from being baptized was the law of chastity...here we usually just fix that problem by making people get married.  So now her husband can pass the sacrament again.  She will definitely be getting baptized next transfer, but I won't be in this city because I'm getting transferred tomorrow.

The wedding was really quick.  We went to the Primaria, or city building, and they said something really quickly and signed some papers and that was it.  They took some pictures with everyone that was there so we were in them.  Unfortunately, we were all standing near the back so we didn't know that we weren't supposed to smile in the pictures.  So it will be pretty obvious to everyone that we are foreigners in that picture; standing in the background and smiling really big when everyone else has serious faces.
Afterward we went to the church for her reception and I got to eat sarmale (cabbage rolls) for the first time.  They are classic romanian food, and they just tasted like ravioli, but not actually very good.  There were big trays of assorted cakes and treats for everyone to eat, and there are still some left-overs at the church so I think I will convince my companion to go over there with me and eat the desserts before they all go bad.  But I'm also going to try to convince her to go play in the 'children's park' with me today too so maybe I'll just go for one of them.
Anyway, the relief society sisters were in charge of all the food at the wedding and something happened in the kitchen so that people got offended and left crying, so this evening we are going to try to fix people's hurt feelings and make sure that they keep coming to church.  One of the sisters is just kind of a jerk, even to the primary children.

At one of our lessons with some recent convert little girls we taught about having faith like a mustard seed.  I can't remember which verses we used but they had the word 'drac' in them which means devil, and the little girls thought it was hilarious because it's a pretty bad swear-word in Romanian (dracula is actually the vocative form of the word).

So, I'm getting transferred to Galati (gah-lah-ts) so that you say it correctly.  I don't really know anything about it right now, so I'll let you know next week.

Cu drag,
Sora Jay



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


0 comments:

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum